Item completion is a setting that records whether or not a student has met a certain completion criteria for any given item that you have placed inside of a Moodle course. You can use it to help students track their progress in a course or to control what students need to complete before accessing certain course material.
Turning on Completion Tracking for a Course
- Open your Moodle course.
- Turn editing on by sliding the Edit Mode toggle to the on position. (Those using the Classic Theme in Moodle can click the Turn Editing on button.)
- Click the course Settings tab.
- Under the Completion Tracking heading, set Enable completion tracking to Yes.
- Click the Save and display button.
Customizing Completion Tracking Settings for a Course Item
- In the Moodle course, click the item’s Edit menu (three dots) and select Edit Settings.
- Scroll down to the Activity Completion section and select one of the options from the Completion tracking drop-down menu:
- Do not indicate activity completion
- Students can manually mark the activity as completed
- Show activity as complete when conditions are met
- Click the Save and return to course button.
Viewing a Completion Tracking Report
To view a report that shows a list of students and the items they have completed, click the Reports tab and select Activity completion.
Completion Tracking and Restrict Access Demonstration
This video covers how to use completion tacking to help you and your students keep track of what they completed, and how to use completion tracking along with restricted access to control the release of course materials or activities.