This video shows you how to backup a course site and then restore it into another course site. This is a method for copying course sites from one semester to another or from one section to another.
Creating a Backup of a Course Using the Classic Theme
- Open the course you want to backup.
- Click Backup from the Course Administration block.
- Use the default Backup Settings (User data will not be backed up) and click the Next button.
- On the Include screen, deselect any items you do not wish to backup. (For example, you probably don’t want the Library reserves folder, as the library will add this folder back to your site every semester.)
- Scroll down to the bottom on the page and click the Next button.
- Review the Backup Settings, scroll to the bottom of the page, and click the Perform Backup button.
- A progress bar will appear as the backup is created.
- When complete, a message will appear saying the the backup was successful. Click the Continue button.
- If you want, you can save a copy of the backup file to your computer. Under the User private backup area, click the Download link for the course you wish to back up to your computer.
- Save the file. By default, most browser save files to the Downloads folder on a computer.
Restoring a Course from a Backup
- Open the course into which you want to place the backed up content.
- Click Restore from the Course Administration block.
- If you have a backup file stored on your computer, drag it into the Files window and click the Restore button.
- Otherwise, choose a backup file from the User Private Backup Area and click the Restore link.
- A progress bar will appear as Moodle prepares the data.
- You will see a list of all the data that will be restored. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Continue button.
- In the Restore as a new course window, scroll until you find the Restore into this course heading.
- Choose the Merge the backup course into this course option and click the Continue button.(If you don’t have any items in the new course, such as Library reserves, you can also choose Delete the contents of this course and then restore. )
- A Restore Settings list appears. The default settings will work for most people. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and click the Next button.
- A Course Settings window appears.
- Scroll down to the Select section. You can uncheck any items that you do not wish to restore from within this window.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Next button.
- A final Review window appears. Scroll down and click the Perform Restore button.
- A progress bar appears.
- A successful restore message will appear. Click the Continue button.