In some cases, viewers may receive a permissions error when trying to watch Panopto videos in Moodle. Usually, this means that the video requires authentication in order to watch it. This authentication should happen in the background when a user logs into Moodle. Modern security features on some browsers, however, may block this authentication process, leading to permission errors. If you are receiving permission errors when trying to watch Panopto videos in Moodle, try the following:
- Try using Chrome or the Chromium version of Edge. (Safari is notoriously buggy when trying to authenticate and is not recommended when using Panopto.)
- Ensure that your browser is not blocking pop-up windows.
- If you are redirected to the Panopto login page, choose Gettysburg Moodle from the drop-down menu options. (Students enrolled in the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History Master’s program, should choose the Gilder Lehrman Moodle option.)
- Ensure that third-party cookies are enabled in your browser. See this Panopto support document on enabling third-party cookies for instructions.
- If installed, disable ad blockers or add Panopto to the blocker’s allowlist, which makes exceptions for sites specified.
- Clear your browser cache.
- If none of these suggestions resolve the problem, contact the video’s creator to ensure they have set the appropriate viewing permissions for the video.