Transferring large files to another person online can be as simple as sending a link that allows recipients to download the files. Gettysburg faculty, students, and employees have access to cloud storage space via Microsoft OneDrive, which allows users to upload files to their accounts and share them with others via a link.
Uploading a File
- To access your Gettysburg OneDrive account, go to the Microsoft 365 Portal. https://portal.office.com (You can also access OneDrive via the Office 365 site.)
- Enter your full Gettysburg email address.
- If prompted, choose the Work or school account option.
- Enter your Gettysburg password.
- Upon logging into Microsoft 365 online, you will see a list of commonly used apps. If you don’t see the OneDrive app, try clicking the App Launcher (checkerboard icon) usually located in the upper left corner of the screen to reveal more Microsoft products.
- Click on the OneDrive icon.
- To upload a file, click the Add new button and choose Files upload.
- Select a file to upload and click the Open button.
- If the file is large, you may see a progress indicator that estimates the time it will take to complete the upload.
Sharing a File with Specific People
- Once the upload is completed you can share the file with others by selecting it and clicking the Share link.
- To share with a specific person, begin typing their name or email into the Add a name, group, or email box. If they are a member of the Gettysburg College community, their name will appear in a selectable list as you type. You can add multiple names to this field.
- From the drop-down menu next to the recipient’s name, chosen whether the person can edit or just view the file.
- Click the Send button to send an email with a link to the file to everyone selected.
- After sharing the file, the word “Shared” appears in the file’s Sharing column.
Sharing a File with Everyone or the Entire Campus Community
- Once the upload is completed you can share the file with a general group by selecting it and clicking the Share link.
- In the Share window, click the Share Settings button.
- Several sharing options appear. The default is People you choose, which forces you to specify exactly who can view the file.
- The Anyone option is the least restrictive and allows anyone who receives the link to see and download the file. (Do not use this option, if you don’t want the file to be publicly available.)
- The People in Gettysburg College option requires individuals to log into their Gettysburg OneDrive accounts to see the file. If you choose this option, anyone with a Gettysburg College username and password will be able to view the file after logging into their OneDrive accounts. (This option means that the file will be visible to everyone at the college once they log into OneDrive.)
- Under More settings, you can specify whether people can edit or just view the file.
- Click the Apply button.
Stop Sharing a File
- To stop sharing an item in your OneDrive account, select the item.
- Click on the Show Actions icon (three dots) and select Manage Access.
- Click Stop Sharing.
- To remove access for one person, click the Links tab.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the People you specify can edit option.
- Click the X next to the person you wish to remove.
View OneDrive Files and Folders Shared with You by Others
- Upon opening OneDrive, you will see files and folders that you have uploaded listed under the Files or My Files heading.
- Files and folders shared with you are located under the Shared heading.
- If you wish to see Shared folders in your My Files view, click hover over the folder in the list and click on the Show Actions icon (three dots).
- Choose Add shortcut > My Files.